Monday, September 7, 2009

You know, in the wake of all of this major change and what-not, I am really beginning to doubt how much talent as a musician I have anyway. Here's just a few reasons why I should never be a professional musician/opera singer:

1. I am terrible at aural theory.
I was really fortunate that I am a hard worker or I would have failed aural theory. I can't dictate worth a darn. I truly cannot hear intervals or rhythms. I couldn't tell you how many parts are playing/singing or what chord this is. I can't sing you a minor triad or scale. It's embarassing, but true.

2. I can't learn music by rote.
My aural memory is so terrible. I have to see the music to learn it. That's why I don't karaoke. I can never remember how the songs go.

3. I only listen to one singer.
This is more of a reason why I shouldn't be a professional singer. I love opera, but I really only love it when Renee Fleming sings it. I never venture to see or hear other productions or operas unless she is singing. How can one be a professional singer if she doesn't care about the art past a particular artist?


Now, some of you make think I am just being hard on myself, but really, I am just being honest. I try very hard to have the facade that I am a strong musician, but I really don't think I am. I am just trying to face the music (ha).

1 comment:

  1. Im so mad right now. I just wrote you this long-ass response to this! Anyway, I basically said that we are all human and we all go through changes. I, like many others, are in the same boat as you: unsure about everything. So, I understand you.

    I preached some more and then I said that if you ever wanna talk, I'm definitely here. If you ever wanna throw some drinks back, IM HERE hahaha.

    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete