Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Du bist die Ruh

Earlier this evening, I jokingly posted on my facebook that Jesus could take me home to the sound of Renee Fleming singing "Du bist die Ruh". The more I thought about it, however, the more appropriate it seems. Here is the translation:

You are peace,
The mild peace,
You are longing
And what stills it.

I consecrate to you
Full of pleasure and pain
As a dwelling here
My eyes and heart.

Come live with me,
And close
quietly behind you
the gates.

Drive other pain
Out of this breast
May my heart be full
With your pleasure.

The tabernacle of my eyes
by your radiance
alone is illumined,
O fill it completely!

Now, knowing that Ruckert was a Romantic, I am sure that this was intended for a lover, but to me it seems so much more divine than that. I was taken back by the translation, and now I am even more in love with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIQSSb1UTc

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this piece!
    AND
    I think you should get your hair done like the picture of Renee in the video you linked!

    (Just sayin')
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would kill to have my hair like that! It was amazing!

    LOVE YOU! <3

    ReplyDelete